A hand-knit cardigan in a soft chunky yarn, worked from the top down with a circular yoke. In three sizes, easy
fitting, knits up quickly.
SIZE: Newborn (10 lb), six months (18 lb), 12 months (24 lb).
YARN: Bernat Illusions (90% acrylic, 10% nylon), 110 (125, 140) gms.
GAUGE: (Stocking Stitch over 4 in = 10 cm): 13.0 sts by 18.0 rows on 6.5 mm circular needles.
SUPPLIES: 5.5 and 6.5 mm circular and double-pointed needles. 5 buttons.
FINISHED DIMENSIONS: (ins):
Chest: 20 (22, 24), Sleeve Length: 6 (6.5, 7), Body Length: 9.5 (10, 11)
- Cast on 26 (30, 32) sts on size 5.5 circular needle loosely. Do NOT join the round; this cardigan will be worked flat.
2. Work 4 rows in garter stitch. Change to 6.5 mm needle.
1. Work from top to bottom of round yoke as follows.
Note: All rows (except for increase rows given below for each size): work even in stocking stitch.
Row 3: Inc 16 sts evenly across the row to total 42 sts.
Row 7: Inc 16 sts evenly across the row to total 58 sts.
Row 11: Inc 16 sts evenly across the row to total 74 sts.
Row 15: Inc 18 sts evenly across the row to total 92 sts.
Row 4: Inc 18 sts evenly across the row to total 48 sts.
Row 8: Inc 18 sts evenly across the row to total 66 sts.
Row 12: Inc 18 sts evenly across the row to total 84 sts.
Row 16: Inc 20 sts evenly across the row to total 104 sts.
Row 3: Inc 19 sts evenly across the row to total 51 sts.
Row 7: Inc 19 sts evenly across the row to total 70 sts.
Row 11: Inc 19 sts evenly across the row to total 89 sts.
Row 15: Inc 19 sts evenly across the row to total 108 sts.
Work even to total 20 (20, 22) rows on yoke.
2. Split the yoke into front, back and sleeve sections as follows.
Starting at beg of round, slip sts for each section to separate holders:
- 14 (16, 17) sts for left front,
- 17 (19, 20) sts for left sleeve,
- 30 (34, 34) sts for back,
- 17 (19, 20) sts for right sleeve, and
- 14 (16, 17) sts for right front.
BODY (ARMHOLE TO HEM):
1. With right side facing, using size 6.5 needles, work sts from left front holder, cast on 2 (2, 4) sts for underarm, work sts from back
holder, cast on 2 (2, 4) sts for second underarm and finally work sts from right front holder. Total 62 (70, 76) sts for body.
2. Work even in stocking stitch until piece measures 4.5 (5, 5.5) ins - 20 (22, 24) rows - from armhole.
3. Hem. Work 4 rows in garter stitch. Cast off remaining sts loosely.
SLEEVES (ARMHOLE TO HEM):
1. With right side facing and size 6.5 d.p. needles, re-join yarn and work sts from right sleeve holder and cast on 2 (2, 4) sts for underarm.
Total 19 (21, 24) sts for sleeve.
Join the circle, taking care not to twist the sts.
Mark the sleeve 'seam' midway on the underarm.
2. Dec 1 st both sides of the marker on the 12th (12th, 9th) round.
Size 18-month only: Dec on 19th round as well.
3. Work even until sleeve measures 5 (5.5, 6) ins - 24 (26, 28) rounds from underarm.
4. Hem. Work 4 rows in garter stitch. Cast off remaining sts loosely.
5. Work left sleeve in the same way.
1. Start with left front for girls, right front for boys.
Using size 5.5 needles pick up and knit 33 (35, 37) sts
(Note: Pick up approximately 3 sts for each 4 rows along cardigan front - between bottom of hem and top of collar band.)
2. Work in garter stitch for 5 rows. Cast off loosely.
3. Mark positions for 5 buttons, the first one 0.5 ins above the band bottom, the last one 0.5 ins below the band top.
BUTTONHOLE AND BUTTON BANDS:
1. Work buttonhole band as for button band, working buttonholes at the marked positions on the second row.
2. Sew buttons at marked positions on the button band.
1. Sew the sleeve and body sts together at the underarms. Darn/weave/sew in all loose ends.
Pattern designed by: Janet Tombu
with KNITWARE DESIGN (Version 2.50.1)
|Note: The pattern shown below incorporates the schematics that would normally be displayed
separately when running the KNITWARE program. Also, the pattern has been edited from the
program-generated text with regard to formatting, fonts, colors and titles, in order to display it
more attractively on this Web page.